Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lions to Lions, Dust to Dust

A dozen or so of us were standing in a forest clearing as the evening fell when we all became aware of the eyes watching us from the bushes. Multiple pairs of eyes. Lions' eyes.

We huddled together hoping that forming a large impenetrable mass would deter them. It didn't. One of our number fell and was made short work of but we continued to stand steadfast in the chaos. When the ruckus died down we resolved to bury the carcass (what few bits remained) but we had no spade with which to dig only a dibber. So we dibbed in the hard packed earth and as last clods were replaced a fragment of tooth shot out from the makeshift grave, flew between my legs and into the mouth of a waiting lion behind me.

A large chunk of flesh fell from the sky right towards my face; I leaped and caught it with my teeth then shredded it with my claws as I hungrily devoured it. I can't pinpoint exactly when it was that I became one of them, but one of them I now was. I sloped off with my full stomach to join the rest of the pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment